What The Bible Says
“What The Bible Says - Vol. 3 / No. 25”
What The Bible Says
Vol. III - No. 25 / May 9, 2021
'FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE'
More and more we hear folks deciding to attend a certain ‘church’ because “there are lots of good activities for the young people”. Often it is the sole basis for making this important determination. ‘Programs’, ‘activities’, and ‘groups’ for the young people – that’s the drawing card.
And, what activities are these folks searching for? Are we talking here about carefully arranged Bible classes that seek to instill an understanding of God’s word in the hearts of our young people? Is it sound teaching from the pulpit and scriptural practice in the way the church does its business so that the young folks can learn respect for Bible authority? Is it love between brethren that manifests itself by each individual demonstrating “hospitality one to another” (1 Pet. 4:9).
Sadly, the answer is no. Instead, the activities that are desired “for the young people” are fun and games – ‘youth groups’ that sponsor parties, retreats, outings, camps, softball and basketball leagues, etc. ‘’The bigger the better’ and ‘the more the merrier’ seem to be the rule.
Lest anyone misunderstand, let it be known that we love basketball, baseball, camping, parties . . . and fun and food in general! We strongly favor such things being provided as an avenue of ‘good, clean fun’ for our young folks. But we insist that there is no authority in the Bible for the church to provide such. Let parents who really care see to it that the kids have these needed diversions, and let the church keep to its important authorized work. There’s nothing better for our young people than this.
FIVE QUESTIONS ON FUTURE PUNISHMENT
1. IS THERE ANY PUNISHMENT FOR THE WICKED AFTER DEATH? The answer is found in Luke 12:4-5: “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!”
2. WHEN DOES THIS PUNISHMENT BEGIN? The answer is found in Luke 16:23: “And being in torments in Hades, he lifted uphis eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.” Again, Jesus is the authority for this truth. Punishment began with the rich man as soon as he died. Note, however, this Hades, the place of departed souls, is a temporary place and not the ETERNAL place of punishment of Hell. The punishment of Luke 16 ends when the soul is brought back out of Hades and into its body. That will also end Hates, too. (Revelation 20:14). The departed souls is united with a glorious body at Christ’s return and the resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:35-58).
3. WILL THERE BE A FUTURE, FINAL, UNIVERSAL JUDGMENT? The answer is found in Hebrews 9:27: “And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,”. Luke 11:31-32 quotes Jesus stating that “the queen of the south shall rise up in judgment…” with the people of His generation. In verse 32, Jesus says that “men of Nineveh shall rise up in judgment…” with His generation. Back in Luke 10:12.15 Jesus says the inhabitants of Sodom, Chorazin, Bethsaida, Tyre, and Capernaum will all be there in judgment. The conclusion of necessity must follow: People of all times will be present at the judgment. Most certainly, the Bible teaches YES to this question.
4. WILL THERE BE ANY PUNISHMENT AFTER THE JUDGMENT? The answer is found in Matthew 25:31-46 where, again, we have Jesus providing the answer. “ALL NATIONS” will be gathered before Him and He will judge. Those on His left will “go away into everlasting punishment”. (Verses 41,46)
5. HOW LONG WILL PUNISHMENT GIVEN AT THE JUDGMENT LAST? Again, with Jesus giving the answer, “EVERLASTING” (Matthew 25:46). Jesus said as long as the eternal life of the righteous lasts, so will the punishment of the wicked. The same word described both. It is forever, eternal, everlasting.
—E.R. Hall, Jr.
MAKE THE BREAK
Many churches are doing many things today that would have been unthinkable several years ago. Though the gospel is God’s power to save (Romans 1:16), all kinds of gimmicks are invented to draw people. Kitchens are built and fellowship meals are conducted by the church. Basketball teams, skating parties, and youth rallies are designed to appeal to young people. Numerous other practices could be mentioned to show that many churches have abandoned the practice of doing all things according to the pattern of the New Testament.
Some people are bothered by all these things being done by churches. Often they say they do not believe such things are the work of the church and wish the church would cease such practices. Yet, they do not have the courage to break with the liberal trends and instead go right along giving their money and time advancing the very things they oppose. Romans 14:23 teaches if we do things, not being fully persuaded in our own mind that the practice is right, we sin! We urge you to examine what we teach and practice in these areas of differences and find out just what the issues are. We stand ready to accept any passage or Bible argument that will prove the afore mentioned things are scriptural.
—E.R. Hall, Jr.
No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar.
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
Other people see your deeds. God sees your motives.
A man's integrity is measured by his conduct, not by his claims.
Character is built by many small deeds, but it can be lost in a single act.
"What The Bible Says” is e-mailed twice a month. If you know of others who might benefit from the articles contained in this bulletin, we would be glad to have you submit their e-mail addresses and we will include them in the next mailing. If you are receiving this bulletin and do not wish to continue to do so, please e-mail us with your desire to be removed from the mailing list and you will be removed promptly. Continue to the bottom of this page for further instructions as to how you may contact us.
--- E.R. Hall, Jr.
SCHEDULE OF SERVICES
For The East Albertville Church Of Christ
4777 U.S. Highway 431
Albertville, AL 35950
Bible Classes …………..….…………… 9:30 AM
Morning Worship ……..…….….……… 10:30 AM
Evening Worship …………………........ 5:00 PM
Bible Classes …………..………........... 7:00 PM
WBSA 93.5 FM/1300 AM ………………………….. 8:30 AM
Monday - Saturday
WBSA 93.5 FM/1300 AM ………………………….. 11:15 AM
Website: www. EastAlbertville.org