1 Thessalonians 5:16 - "Rejoice always."
Christians have every reason to rejoice:
- They have obeyed the Gospel. (Acts 8:29; 16:34)
- When they serve and sacrifice. (Heb. 10:34)
- When they are mistreated. (Mt. 5:11-12; Acts 5:41)
Christians are basically happy - not hyped!
- Sad at times. (Rom. 9:2)
- Anxious at times. (2 Cor. 2:13; 11:28)
- Fearful at times. (2 Cor. 7:4-6)
- Such are exceptions, not the rule.
- Characterized by inner peace of mind from God. (Phil. 4:4-9)
- Happy in spite of outward circumstances. (Phil. 4:11)
- The guilty should not be happy while guilty. (Psa. 51:3-4)
- If happy, the guilty will not repent. (2 Cor. 7:8-10)
- The guilty can only be happy by:
- Searing their conscience. (1 Tim. 4:2)
- Accepting forgiveness
ENVY, JEALOUSY, RESENTMENT
- Envy is rottenness to the bones, (Prov. 14:30)
- Envy made Joseph's brothers unhappy. (Gen. 37:4-5-5:19)
- Brings sorrow. (1 Tim .6:6-10)
- Covetousness is never satisfied.
- Covetousness is idolatry. (Col. 3:5)
- A form of murder. (1 Jn. 3:15)
- Must be put away. (Eph. 4:31-32)
- Must be avoided. (1 Tim. 6:4-5)
- Opposite of love. (1 Cor. 13:5)
- Need to think on good things. (Phil. 4:8)
- Help what can be helped, but don’t brood over what you can't help.
- Rejected by the Jews, Paul turned to the Gentiles. (Acts 18:16)
- Do our duty but feel free from their blood. (Acts 20:26-27)
- Remember some things are out of our hands.
INORDINATE ANXIETY - FEAR
- A lack of faith. (Matt. 6:30-31)
- A lack of faith in the power and providence of God.