Many people confuse the physical heart within their chest cavities with the spiritual heart that is more frequently discussed in the Scriptures. Some of this misunderstanding may be cleared up if we consider what it does. Here are some things it does.
1. THINKS. Proverbs 23:7 says: "for as he thinketh in his heart, so is he." Esther 6:6 says: "Now Haman thought in his heart..." Mt. 9:4 says: "And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?" Jesus also said: "...for out of the heart proceed evil thoughts..." (Mt. 15:19). NOTE: Although the physical blood pump does not do so, the heart thinks!
2. UNDERSTANDS. Isaiah 32:4 says: "The heart also of the rash shall understand knowledge..." Also see Job 38:36.
3. KNOWS. Joshua 23:14 says: "...and ye know in all your hearts..." Prov. 14:10 says: "The heart knoweth his own bitterness..."
4. REASONS. Mark 2:6 Says: "But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts". In verse 8 Jesus asked them: "Why reason ye these things in your hearts?" NOTE: They could and did reason in their hearts. It is obvious that this reasoning was
not being done by the physical heart.
5. BELIEVES. Romans 10:10 says: "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness..." Also see Acts 8:37. NOTE: One should certainly realize that he believes with his heart, but not with his physical blood pump.
6. DESIRES. Romans 10:1 says:"Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved."
7. PURPOSES. Paul said: "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give..." (2 Cor. 9:7).
8. DEVISES. "A man's heart deviseth his way..." (Prov. 16:9).
9. LOVES. Jesus said: "Thou shall love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." (ML 22:37). NOTE: Loving God with all your heart does not mean loving Him with all thy blood pump.
10. PRESUMES. Esther 7:5 says: "...Who is he, and where is he, that durst presume in his heart to do so?"
11. DESPISES. 2 Samuel 6:16 Says: "...And she despised him in her heart."
12. OBEY FROM THE HEART. In Rom. 6:17-18 Paul said: "But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness."
13. LIVES FOR EVER. Psalms 22:26 says: "...your heart shall live for ever." NOTE: None of the above things that the heart does can be done by the physical heart (blood pump). We must not think of the heart as ordinarily used in the Scriptures as such. Let each of us examine our hearts and search our souls daily and do our utmost to have "an honest and good heart" so that we will hear the word, keep it, & bring forth fruit with patience. (CRS)