Fathers, Are You Homeschooling?
On March 12, 1983, in a radio address to the nation, then President Ronald Reagan said “education begins at home”. The scriptures clearly teach and support this statement. And contrary to what many parents in reality practice, the scriptures also command and teach that parents (especially fathers) are given the responsibility to “train up a child in the way that he should go” (Eph. 6:4, Col. 3:21, Prov. 22:6, Col. 3:21. Titus 2:4)
Contrary to all the scapegoating and the popular idea that teachers, coaches, religious leaders and baby sitters have a responsibility to help raise our children, God has actually given fathers the primary responsibility to raise their children and teach them the all-important things God would have them know. The scriptures both command and teach this:
- Eph. 6:4 “And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord. (Eph. 6:4)
- Prov. 3:12 “For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.”
- Col. 3:21 “Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.”
- Heb. 12:9 “Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?”
- Prov. 17:6 Children’s children are the crown of old men, And the glory of children is their father.
I hasten to add that the above bible verses do not suggest that educators or others outside the nuclear family should not play a very limited role in our children’s lives, they do. However, fathers (and mothers) must not shun or neglect their God given duty to raise their children properly and this begins at home (Eph. 6:4, 1 Tim. 5:14, Prov. 22:6). There are grave consequences of neglecting our children by allowing the children to basically raise themselves or by relying on society’s institutions to, in effect, raise our children for us. There are many God inspired proverbs that speaks to this parental neglect:
- Prov. 29:15 “The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother”
- Prov. 29:17 “Correct your son, and he will give you rest; Yes, he will give delight to your soul.”
- Prov. 13:24 “He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.”
- Prov. 1:8-9 “My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother; For they will be a graceful ornament on your head, And chains about your neck.
So, fathers (this applies to me also), are you meeting your God given responsibility to truly “homeschool” your children? Your kids and society are counting on you! (Eph. 6:4, Col. 3:21, Heb. 12:7,9 Prov. 22:6)