What The Bible Says
“What The Bible Says - Vol. 2 / No. 17”
What The Bible Says
Vol. II - No. 17 / January 19, 2020
PAUL'S THIRD EPISTLE TO TIMOTHY
Paul an apostle of Jesus Christ, to Timothy, Associate Youth Minister of the church at Ephesus.
I besought thee to abide still in Ephesus, when I went to the Macedonian workshop, that thou mightest share thy dynamic motivational personality with the keen teens. I exhort therefore, that, first of all, candlelight devotionals be held for all cell groups. Meditate upon new schemes to keep them stirred up and on fire, give thyself wholly to them, lest the aged men and women teach them to be sober-minded.
But watch out for them in all things. Do the work of a recreational director, plan a social calendar, entertain at hootenanies, chauffeur to amusement parks, referee ball games, make full proof of thy ministry. For bodily exercise produceth firm believers.
These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly: but if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the fieldhouse of God, the backboard and track of progress.
Let no man despise thy youth rallies: but be thou an example of the latest fad, in hugs, in applause, in altar calls, in neo-charismatic spirituality, in cliches. Do thy diligence to schedule Hymeneus and Philetus for next year.
Study to show thyself an intellectual. But progress beyond the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing the rigid traditionalists from whom thou hast learned them. Let the elders that rule be told they have no authority, especially over you.
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, preach self-image psychology: relate, placate, and motivate with all values, clarification and counseling. Use vague speech, that cannot be pinned down, that he that is of the contrary part may look foolish, having no charges that you cannot later deny. These things suggest and present as all personal opinion so that anyone who disagrees may be ignored.
Hold back the faithful word, which you were taught, that you may be able by new doctrines both to find and fill felt-needs. For there are many dynamic speakers and misunderstood thinkers, especially they of the circumcision, whose mouths must be given a wider hearing. A man that is a heretic to the old brethren, after the first and second brotherhood backlash, take a caravan of children a hundred miles to hear. Lay hands suddenly on anyone who seems to be an "anti"; keep thyself popular.
O Timothy, keep that which unknowing parents have committed to thy trust, avoiding doctrinal issues and oppositions of knuckleheads, so called.
(I’ve lost track of who wrote this and am therefore unable to give credit to whom credit is due. However I think it to be what Paul might have written had he been conforming to conditions in the church today. Now read his two letters to Timothy in the New Testament and see what he really wrote by the Holy Spirit. —E.R. Hall, Jr.)
HOW SOME MARRIAGES SUCCEED
1. There is genuine love between husband and wife (Ephesians 5: 25,33). The relationship is not based on mere physical attraction. Love deepens with passing years.
2. There is unselfishness. Each has a sincere desire to please the other (Ephesians 5:28,31). The husband wants his wife to be happy and the wife wants her husband to be happy.
3. The pledge of loyalty is never forgotten no matter what happens (1 Corinthians 7:2-3). Each mate always thinks back on the serious vow of loyalty made to his or her companion: ‘ ... in sickness or in health, for richer or poorer, for better or for worse; till death do us part.’
4. Forgiveness is practiced (Ephesians 4:32). When mistakes are made or misunderstandings occur do tempers flare and are harsh words spoken or are apologies offered and forgiveness freely extended?
5. Understanding is shown (1 Peter 3:7-8). A good wife understands her husband and is charitable toward his weaknesses and pecularities. A good husband demonstrates sympathy and understanding toward his wife.
6. There is togetherness (Ephesians 5:31). Neither companion wants to be away from the other for long. They live, love, work, plan, laugh, cry, talk, and dream together. Marriage is a state of sharing.
7. There is mutual trust. A faithful wife is one in whom the heart of her husband safely trusts (Proverbs 33:11). A devout husband is one in whom his wife has confidence that dispels suspicions and fears.
8. There is honesty. Neither partner in marriage lies to the other (Colossians 3:9). Problems are discussed frankly, difficulties are admitted openly, and each feels free to confide in the other.
These are some reasons how marriages do succeed in this modern world. Regardless of how modern the world gets, let us live according to the age old principles found in God’s word.
—E.R. Hall, Jr.
THE MUSIC WE LISTEN TO: REVEALS AND REFLECTS
The music we listen to, the music we enjoy, the music we sing does two things:
(1) It reveals our taste, our appetite, what we are interested in, what appeals to us, and, therefore, the kind of person we are.
(2) It exerts an influence upon us, playing a role in molding our thoughts, attitudes, conduct and character, and, therefore, the kind of person we are becoming. And that’s rather powerful!
The most important part of music (purely instrumental excepted) is the lyrics, the words, and the lyrics of much of most kinds of music are becoming worse with every new generation. So suggestive, so vulgar, so obscene, so crude, so violent, so tasteless are the lyrics of many songs that they have to be edited before being printed in the magazines sold to the public. If you want the full text, you have to buy the albums, many of which come with complete printed sets of the lyrics, or listen closely as the songs are played on the radio stations.
God help us for what, to a large extent, music has become. As parents, we need to know what our children are listening to, and as adults we need to he concerned about what we are listening to.
HAVE A BIBLE QUESTION YOU’D LIKE ANSWERED?
HERE’S YOUR CHANCE…
A CALL-IN RADIO PROGRAM
93.5 FM & 1300 AM
SIRIUS XM CHANNEL 113
SUNDAY NIGHTS @ 8 PM CT
PREVIOUS SHOWS AVAILABLE AT:
IMPROVE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE BIBLE...
FREE ONLINE BIBLE CORRESPONDENCE COURSE
"What The Bible Says” is e-mailed twice a month. If you know of others who might benefit from the articles contained in this bulletin, we would be glad to have you submit their e-mail addresses and we will include them in the next mailing. If you are receiving this bulletin and do not wish to continue to do so, please e-mail us with your desire to be removed from the mailing list and you will be removed promptly. Continue to the bottom of this page for further instructions as to how you may contact us.
--- E.R. Hall, Jr.
SCHEDULE OF SERVICES
For The East Albertville Church Of Christ
4777 U.S. Highway 431
Albertville, AL 35950
Bible Classes …………..….…………… 9:30 AM
Morning Worship ……..…….….……… 10:30 AM
Evening Worship …………………........ 5:00 PM
Bible Classes …………..………........... 7:00 PM
WBSA 93.5 FM/1300 AM ………………………….. 8:30 AM
Monday - Saturday
WBSA 93.5 FM/1300 AM ………………………….. 11:15 AM
Website: www. EastAlbertville.org