What The Bible Says
“What The Bible Says - Vol. 3 / No. 20”
What The Bible Says
Vol. III - No. 20 / February 28, 2021
WHY DOES GOD NOT HEAR SINNERS?
The basis for this question is found in John 9:31, "Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshiper of God, and doeth His will, him He heareth." Actually, the answer is also found in the same verse: "...but if any man be a worshiper of God, and doeth His will, him He heareth." God does not hear sinners because they do not worship Him nor do they do His will.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO”HEAR"?
Normally, the word "hear" means to "be endowed with the faculty of hearing" or "not deaf". The word "hear" in John 9:31 means "to yield to, hear and obey" (Thayer, P. 22). Thus, in regards to prayer, God is under no obligation to answer the prayer of a sinner. God is not deaf but He does not yield to the sinner's prayer nor does He hear in order that He might obey. It is in this way that "God heareth not sinners".
WHY SHOULD HE HEAR A SINNER'S PRAYER?
1. God has already shown His love to sinners by giving His Son to die. "For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16). "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8). God showed His love first, now we ought to love Him. "We love Him, because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19).
2. What makes a sinner? A sinner is one who trangresses the law of God for that is what sin is. "Whosoever committeth sin trangresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” (1 John 3:4). A person "that committeth sin is of the devil" (1 John 3:8) and yet, God sent Christ "to take away our sins" (1 John 3:5). Now it is our turn to commend our love to God. How do we do that? Keep His commandments (John 14:15,21; 15:10) and keep His word (Luke 11:28: John 14:23).
3. What is the sinner's attitude and action toward God's word and God's commandments? A sinner hears but does not do according to Jesus in Matthew 7:26 . Jesus pronounces such a person to be "foolish". Neither does the sinner truly love God. "He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings:..." (John 14:24).
4. What happens when we sin? We become separated from God, our sin causes Him to hide His face from us, and sin causes Him to not hear. We learn all this from Isaiah 59:1,2.
5. Why should anyone remain a sinner when God has provided the means of redemption? "In whom (Christ, ERH) we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace." (Ephesians 1:7). What reason is there for anyone to be in sin? God's grace is for all (Titus 2:11,12). God wants "all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth"(1 Timothy 2:4). God is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9).
6. Also, in answering the question of why should God hear a sinner's prayer, we must not forget the nature of God. Deuteronomy 32:4 says: "He is the rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he." The book of Job in chapter 34 and verse 10 records: "Far be it from God, that he should do wickedness; and from the Almighty, that he should commit iniquity." David records in Psalms 92:15: "To shew that the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him." James 1:13 says, "God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." "God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."(1 John 1:5). In view of His nature, is there any wonder that God will not hear sinners?
7. Indeed, why should God hear the sinner when He has made every provision for his sins to be forgiven and, yet, he still remains in sin. "The face of the Lord is against them that do evil,..." (Psalms 34:16). "Then shall they cry unto the Lord, but he will not hear them: he will even hide his face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings." (Micah 3:4).
8. Jeremiah 7:24 "But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward." (11:8) "Yet they obeyed not, nor inclined their ear, but walked every one in the imagination of their evil heart: therefore I will bring upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do; but they did them not." (17:23) "But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck still, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction." (25:4) "And the Lord hath sent unto you all his servants the prophets, rising early and sending them; but ye have not hearkened nor inclined your ear to hear.”
How can anyone who does not let his ear hear what God says, expect God to hear him?
—E.R. Hall, Jr.
The best inheritance a father can leave his children is a good example.
Choice, not chance, determines human destiny.
To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have.
You (and I) cannot justify our faults by saying, “That’s just the way I am!”
Live Video Streaming Of The Bible Study
SUNDAY 9:30 AM and Wednesday 7:00 PM WWW.EASTALBERTVILLE.COM - click on “Live Feed”
Go To East Albertville church of Christ on YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK
Live Video Streaming Of The Bible Sermon
SUNDAY 9:30 AM and 5:00 PM WWW.EASTALBERTVILLE.COM - click on “Live Feed”
Go To East Albertville church of Christ on YOUTUBE/FaceBook
HAVE A BIBLE QUESTION YOU’D LIKE ANSWERED?
HERE’S YOUR CHANCE…
A CALL-IN RADIO PROGRAM
93.5 FM & 1300 AM
SIRIUS XM CHANNEL 113
SUNDAY NIGHTS @ 8 PM CT
PREVIOUS SHOWS AVAILABLE AT:
IMPROVE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE BIBLE...
FREE ONLINE BIBLE CORRESPONDENCE COURSE
"What The Bible Says” is e-mailed twice a month. If you know of others who might benefit from the articles contained in this bulletin, we would be glad to have you submit their e-mail addresses and we will include them in the next mailing. If you are receiving this bulletin and do not wish to continue to do so, please e-mail us with your desire to be removed from the mailing list and you will be removed promptly. Continue to the bottom of this page for further instructions as to how you may contact us.
--- E.R. Hall, Jr.
SCHEDULE OF SERVICES
For The East Albertville Church Of Christ
4777 U.S. Highway 431
Albertville, AL 35950
Bible Classes …………..….…………… 9:30 AM
Morning Worship ……..…….….……… 10:30 AM
Evening Worship …………………........ 5:00 PM
Bible Classes …………..………........... 7:00 PM
WBSA 93.5 FM/1300 AM ………………………….. 8:30 AM
Monday - Saturday
WBSA 93.5 FM/1300 AM ………………………….. 11:15 AM
Website: www. EastAlbertville.org